Re: Make ppc64 secondary arch - don't block builds (was: Dealing with ppc64 BRs)

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 16:35:28 +0200
Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > David was working on ocaml at one point.  For now, ExcludeArch it and
> > file the appropriate ExcludeArch bug.  When ocaml is built, you can
> > remove it and rebuild.
>
> Ugly - we need to artificially bump the release to exclude it and
> later bump to undo the ugliness. In the meantime we enforce users to
> download this twice (or trice) and not only for the affected distros,
> as fiddling with release tags has a domino effect to later releases
> (not that it matters in this case, devel is missing ocaml.ppc64 just
> the same).

Or you could just do it on the next update and pick up the ppc64 build
at that time...

> And all that for archs that are already scheduled to become secondary
> archs, e.g. not block builds? ppc/ppc64 were supposed to become
> secondary archs if another arch was to be found to be secondary and we
> already have arm for filling that requirement, so since it's already a
> closed deal, why do we need to go through this pain?

ARM is not an official secondary arch to my knowledge.  The Fedora
buildsystem isn't able to handle secondary arch stuff yet.  And I
suspect SPARC will be there first anyway.

Even with secondary arches, you'll still need to do the ExcludeArch if
it really doesn't build properly.  Or someone will anyway.

> And shouldn't ppc64 (or any half-built arch) had been automatically
> introduced as a secondary arch anyway to not mess with normal
> packaging workflow? Even if the intention were to elevate it later to
> a primary arch someday? What will happen with the next arch that will
> be added? Have all packages ExcludeArch it to start with?

See above about buildsys not being exactly ready.  As for the new
secondary arches, I highly doubt they will be elevated.  You'd need an
architecture as popular and prevalent as x86/x86_64 to come along and
take over the world.

josh