Re: koji: not building against koji-built packages? bug or user issue?

On Tuesday 05 June 2007 09:31:23 Axel Thimm wrote:
> I built apt and synaptic in this order:
>
> ID: 7866: apt-0.5.15lorg3.2-10.fc7 (Finished: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 02:46:43
> MST) ID: 7943: synaptic-0.57.2-7.fc7 (Started Mon, 04 Jun 2007 03:59:34
> MST)
>
> e.g. there was more than one day in between. Still the synaptic build
> used the old apt package, for example:
>
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=25522&name=root.log
> 0:apt-devel-0.5.15lorg3.2-9.fc7.i386
>
> The proper apt package was even in updates-testing since 2007-06-03
> 21:12:03.
>
> Did I do something wrong? If yes, how do I ensure that packages get
> built against each-other before pushing to updates(-testing)? With the
> former setup (plague) this was automatic. If not, why did koji not see
> the 25h old package it built?

It got buried before, but the way that release trees are handled are different
than rawhide.  In Core, our release update candidates do not autopopulate the
buildroot.  This is to protect our buildroot from being poisoned by
potentially bad updates.  They are treated as candidate updates and not
entered into the buildroot until they are pushed as a stable update.  There
is an override tag that rel-eng can use to make a build temporarily available
to build the rest of a stack for an update.  I don't like the scenario at all
and I'm welcome to ideas.  Just self updating the buildroot seems like a bad
idea to me and some of my colleagues who have been doing RHL/RHEL stuff for
far longer than I have.  Ideally we'd have a way to chainbuild things
together in such a way that it doesn't poison the rest of the buildroots for
that tag, basically making them available for your build and your build
alone.  I honestly don't know what kind of work it would take to get this
though.

Anyway I'm open for discussion.  I went forward with what Core developers are
used to, and I hoped I had warned people but it probably got lost.  I would
love to discuss it at a rel-eng meeting, we ran out of time last week.

For now, you can request buildroot overrides by
mailing 'rel-eng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'.  What place in the wiki should this
information go?

--
Jesse Keating