Re: Review guidelines and rpmlint

Patrice Dumas wrote:
On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 02:22:16PM -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
If you look closely, rpmlint output is separated into warnings (W:) and
errors (E:). Just like a C compiler.

If I remember well Ville said that the difference between W and E was
quite arbitrary.
Errors MUST be fixed to pass review. (Or to pass the upcoming
rpmlint-after-build test)

Some errors have to be ignored (from the top of my head, errors about
setuid binaries, for example).

Warnings can be ignored IF (BIG IF) there is reasonable justification.
For example, the common "no documentation" warning with sub-packages
such as -devel. Often all documentation goes into the main package, and
there's nothing suited to go in the -devel package.

In my opinion it should be like that for W and E rpmlint messages indistinctly. Maybe E may be scrutated more, but it isn't obvious either.

Agreed, as a loyal rpmlint user and someone with quite a few packages and reviews on his name, I must say this is the only way. Many rpmlint errors are errors in most cases but not always, some should / could be changed to warnings. But there will never be a rpmlint without false positives on the error front.

This is also why my suggestion for adding rpmlint to the buildsys and makefile.common test builds, contains a whitelist.

Regards,

Hans