Re: emacs and /etc/alternatives

On 3/8/07, Chip Coldwell <coldwell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not a big fan of "alternatives", most users don't know about it,
> it's a bit arcane, and if you're savvy enough to use alternatives you
> can probably handle invoking emacs with -nw in those instances where
> DISPLAY is set. Alternatives is not buying much other than a lot of
> complications.

The "alternatives" stuff would by handled by the rpm %post script, so
users wouldn't have to know about it.  Whichever of the two packages
you installed last becomes the default (assuming they don't conflict
as Jesse requested).  That seems reasonable to me, but I'm interested
in learning what the standard practice for Fedora is.

I thought alternatives had a priority mechanism where the highest
priority link is used.  emacs-x could be made higher priority than
emacs-nox and would be used if it is installed.

- Ian