Re: emacs and /etc/alternatives

On Friday 09 March 2007 13:48:26 John Dennis wrote:
> Is that true? Files are not considered conflicts by RPM if they are
> identical?

by-product of multilib stuff I think.

> If two packages own the same file is RPM smart enough to not remove the
> file until no package owns it?

Supposed to be.  In practice...?

> What happens when multiple packages own the same file, but one of the
> packages which owns the file is newly installed/updated and it changes
> the file as compared to the other owners? Sounds to me like a recipe for
> problems.

Right, there are lots of 'unknowns' around here.

I hate to say it, but to accomplish the goal that Chip and others have,
alternatives may be the best way to go about it, no matter how fugly
alternatives is :/

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora