Re: Proposed guideline for init script files

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 15:38:57 +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:

> > They can be changed and used by an experienced adminstrator. But
> > making rpm create *.rpm{save,new} files would not be wise, since the
> > package scriptlets do the gconftool-2 dance with --makefile-uninstall
> > and --makefile-install, which better works with the right schema
> > files.
>
> You mean: administrator configures kiosk-mode, nightly 'yum upgrade'
> overrides this configuration and clients have now the default setup
> till the next 'cfagent' run?

Can't follow you here. What you describe sounds quite different from what
I refer to.

> >> Sorry, how can a system administrator know which configuration files are
> >> supposed to be editable? Do we require a big fat "### DO NOT EDIT THIS
> >> FILE" header for each initscript? Or require a-w permissions for them?
> >
> > Is it the same sysadmin, who deals with *.rpm{save,new} initscripts?
>
> Yes; this admin will learn that initscript should not be edited when he
> sees the messages about the .rpmsave files.

... the hard way, :( because meanwhile the service condrestart has
restarted services with pristine initscripts. And similarly when the
updated initscript was saved as *.rpmnew.