Re: Proposed guideline for init script files

bugs.michael@xxxxxxx (Michael Schwendt) writes:

> They can be changed and used by an experienced adminstrator. But
> making rpm create *.rpm{save,new} files would not be wise, since the
> package scriptlets do the gconftool-2 dance with --makefile-uninstall
> and --makefile-install, which better works with the right schema
> files.

You mean: administrator configures kiosk-mode, nightly 'yum upgrade'
overrides this configuration and clients have now the default setup
till the next 'cfagent' run?

Mmmh... something seems to suck in this scenario...

>> > But only *if* there is no other place where to customise the service
>> > config, e.g. /etc/sysconfig.
>>
>> Sorry, how can a system administrator know which configuration files are
>> supposed to be editable? Do we require a big fat "### DO NOT EDIT THIS
>> FILE" header for each initscript? Or require a-w permissions for them?
>
> Is it the same sysadmin, who deals with *.rpm{save,new} initscripts?

Yes; this admin will learn that initscript should not be edited when he
sees the messages about the .rpmsave files.

Enrico