Re: $RPM_SOURCE_DIR (Was: Problems with core review)

I don't want to seem to ignore your other perfectly valid arguments,
especially since one of them precisely duplicates an argument made in
my original message.  I just think this needs to be treated
separately:

JD> -1 for the Bureaucrats in People's Central Packaging Committee and
JD> their police who seek to banish me to the gulag for crimes against
JD> spec files by virtue of improper thinking ;-)

So there's an emoticon there, but an emoticon isn't enough to hide the
fact that there's an attitude here which really needs to be dealt
with.  So I'll make it plain: I am on the packaging committee.  Why on
Earth would I have posted my message if I had no interest in gaining
input from the people on various sides of the issue?  The committee
has created no applicable rules here except for the absolute
prohibition against writing to $RPM_SOURCE_DIR.  I am attempting to
gather information so that the committee can consider the issue.  It
would behoove those who have interest in this to provide balanced
information and constructive discussion (as I will note that you did
in your message before that bit at the end) instead of inflammatory
rhetoric, because the rhetoric tends to drown out the useful bits.

Please work with us instead of denigrating us.  Don't validate the
fears many community members have of Red Hat employees turning their
noses up at community-developed guidelines.

 - J<