Re: dist-hg proof-of-concept ready for use

Carl Worth wrote:
On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 14:22:01 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
The hangup for me remains the git UI, especially since I'm using Eclipse
a lot and would lose the GUI stuff, but also the git command line and
web frontends are pretty strange. But, this is probably not such an
issue for Fedora as it is for us desktop/web-oriented developers... ;-)

Havoc, I don't follow your argument at all. If Eclipse is the
important UI, then how could the git command-line be relevant at all?

I'm just talking about my personal preference.

I use both command line and Eclipse pretty often. Eclipse is not "the important UI" for Fedora I'm quite sure (at least right now - maybe with the SRPM plugin it is), but it's one I use since I write a lot of Java lately. But I also use Emacs for C, and use the terminal a good bit.

To me the git docs are a sea of implementation details and terminology often at some kind of strange lower level than I want to know about.[1]

I know some people (e.g. obviously Keith and Linus) greatly enjoy understanding this level, and more power to them ;-)

I just hope before I get stuck using git for something someone will figure out how to bury some of this stuff a bit more.

Let's put it this way: honestly I don't care how cool the git implementation is, if I have to _know_ what the implementation is. If I wanted to know, I would write my own version control system like everyone else ;-)

Havoc

[1] I'm not going to be productive and try to design something better/ideal, since it would take weeks, but if you "man git" there's a "Plumbing" section and a "Porcelain" section. As a start, I'd like to live in a world where "Plumbing" was somewhere I never saw it. Right now the terminology and goo from that layer leaks out everywhere, whether it's in the docs, in the output of git-<Tab>, in status messages, or in UIs that show me huge hex numbers and say things like "blob" when they mean "file." svn presumably also has "plumbing" but I don't know about it and am happy not to.

I'm skipping superficial UI complaints like "who the hell uses Tk in 2006?" ;-)