Re: Agressive FUD by Fedora contributor

On 10/16/06, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 12:58:56AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 00:10 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Christopher Stone wrote:
> > > But to make a long story short,
> > > disabling ATrpms and using yum instead of apt-get solved their
> > > problem.  So I don't see how you can call this "FUD" when I *still*
> > > have to deal with problems stemming from the ATrpms repo.
> >
> > IMO, If you have issues, take it up with Axel and/or an ATrpms mailing
> > list, but such commentary has no place in any *fedora* bugzilla (nor on
> > this mailing list).  And please try to remember, we're trying to bring
> > people together here, not divide them.
>
> Hold on. If someone has hosed up their system using ANY means why is not
> appropriate to explain that in bugzilla? We go on screeds about nvidia
> or ati drivers in bugzilla pretty commonly. How is what Christopher did
> all that different?

did you check the bug report? No system was broken and no bug was
pointed out to. Christopher raged about ATrpms completely
unmotivated. Or better said he raged after the submitter said he
condsidered to submit this package to ATrpms.

I could now pick a random bug report and start ranting about a random
fedora contributior's packaging work, right?

I will officially apologize to you in front of the entire community
and endorse the use of ATrpms if you promise to remove all packages
that conflict with FC/FE.

I feel that you are putting too much effort into condoning what I
said, and not enough effort in making your repository work well with
others.

As I stated in the other thread, a repository that overrides base
packages essentially forks Fedora and creates a new distribution, and
this is far more damaging to the community than any comments made by a
single individual.

So once again, I will take back and apologize for everything I have
said if you will promise to try and work more closely with the
community and no longer override base packages found in FC/FE.