Re: Use of whitelist/blacklist in articles

Raising my opinion as well. As a Swedish person, I've always
associated whitelists as a list of things you can see, since white is
bright.
Likewise for blacklists as something in the darkness that you cannot see.

I personally would use the same connotation as the project I'm writing about.
If I'm writing about Redis I will write about master-replica.
Likewise if I'm writing about something that uses whitelist/blacklist
wording, I will use that as well.

Using a different connotation than is documented is just confusing.
I wouldn't edit the Fedora Magazine article either, even though
allowlist/denylist 100% makes more sense in firewalld the article
talks about it as a problem and proposes a solution - their
firewalld-blacklist package.
If it was to be edited across the article to mention denylist instead,
and in the end link to a firewalld-blacklist package they created, one
would be confused as to why it was coded with one word and released
with a different one.

I would vote for discouraging master/slave, and blacklist/whitelist as
long as it makes sense and doesn't take away any meaning that needs to
be explained.

Having a style guide sounds great, I'm presuming something like
codespell can correct custom words as well like RedHat,
NetworkManager, fedora, etc.

Eric Gustavsson, RHCSA
He/Him/His
Software Engineer
Red Hat
IM: Telegram: @SpyTec
E1FE 044A E0DE 127D CBCA E7C7 BD1B 8DF2 C5A1 5384