Re: Using 'sic' when editing articles (was Re: [Review needed] Fedora at the National Library of Technology)

FWIW, I think I agree more with Ben's "take" that it should be avoided because
it might be seen as passive-aggressive. I suspect part of the point of sic is to
inform readers that what is written isn't proper English so that no one will be
tempted to imitate it elsewhere in their own speech or writing. That is probably
more of a concern for a bigger news publication than it is for our small world.
I also think trying to reenforce proper grammar in the modern era of acronyms
like "LOL" and "FWIW" is probably a lost cause anyway.

Also, I think being in quotations is sufficient to indicate that what is written
is not the work of the editor/writer. So sic is a bit redundant and unnecessary
in that sense.