Re: Marking out of date Magazine articles?

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 5:26 AM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 6:58 AM Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > In posts related to tools, should we start including what versions of the
> > tools (and the Fedora release) the article refers to as a way to make
> > users more aware? Would that work?
> >
> That's a great idea. Then at least people have some context clues to
> figure out if the post is out of date or not.
>
> > > Alternatively, and I'm not sure how much of a burden this would be,
> > > but we could automatically email authors at each release cycle and ask
> > > them to verify that their posts are still valid and if not either
> > > update or apply this hypothetical "outdated" flag.
> >
> > I don't know how well this will work in our community where people tend
> > to move on to other things, sometimes other communities. Additionally,
> > it has the same issue as the previous one---the editing team will have
> > to do more work, even if it is temporarily providing access to the
> > authors to edit posts.
> >
> My proposal assumes that the workflow goes something like this:
> 1. An editor gets a list of authors in the last 6 months (or 6-12
> months ago, or whatever)
> 2. The editor sends a "hey, please check your articles and see if
> they're still valid. if they're not update or let me know"
> 3. 95% of authors ignore it
> 4. The editor adds the outdated flag to any posts the author lists,
> plus any articles reported by readers
>
> So it is more work, but realistically probably not much more work
> because most authors will ignore the request. Which is an argument
> against doing it at all, but at least then we catch *some* before the
> readers do instead of catching none.

It is important to note too that the Fedora Magazine is really a blog /
news source, not documentation. Do users expect to read an article that is
several years old and have instructions in that still work? Would we then
have to update say all the old Release Announcements to say this is an old
version that has been EOL'ed?

While this would be something nice to have, IMHO keeping old articles
up-to-date should definitely have a much lower priority than creating new,
fresh, content.

 cheers,
ryanlerch