Re: Marking out of date Magazine articles?

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 5:35 PM Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Maybe something like this plugin that marks posts as outdated after a
> while? One release cycle maybe, given that most posts on tooling apply
> to current releases and we simply don't have the man power to keep all
> old posts up to date?

I'm not sure I'd want to automatically mark posts more than one
release cycle old as outdated. I wouldn't want to send someone away
unnecessarily. At least when things are outdated, it should be more
obvious (e.g. commands will fail or not exist), whereas if something
is falsely marked as outdated, no one will know.

Maybe we can have a flag that we set on posts when someone reports an
outdated post and just have a footer that gives readers instructions
on how to report that?

Alternatively, and I'm not sure how much of a burden this would be,
but we could automatically email authors at each release cycle and ask
them to verify that their posts are still valid and if not either
update or apply this hypothetical "outdated" flag.

> Also an issue on docs, by the way:
> https://pagure.io/fedora-docs/docs-fp-o/issue/116
>
> We had someone following F14 documentation asking questions on AskFedora
> the other day---mostly why official documentation doesn't work.

Ugh. I like your proposal in that ticket. That's a slightly different
approach since, in theory, we're branching the docs for each release
anyway, so the latest version should exist and we can point people to
it, even if the old docs are still valid. That's not the case for
magazine articles.

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His