Re: Feedback needed : Metrics for Fedora Magazine

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 09:14:56AM -0500, Justin W. Flory wrote:
> On 01/15/2018 01:03 PM, Dhanesh B. Sabane wrote:
> > Greetings Magazine team!
> >
> > We at CommOps are aiming to generate metrics for Fedora Magazine which
> > can provide us with interesting insights about the articles we post.
> >
> > To better achieve the goals, we would love to know what kind of metrics
> > we can collect that can prove to be helpful for the Magazine team and
> > eventually benefit the Fedora Project as a whole.
> >
> > Please reply to this email or comment on the Pagure ticket[1] and help
> > us understand the requirements.
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > [1] https://pagure.io/fedora-commops/issue/108
> >

> Hey all, it would be helpful to have the team discuss this and provide
> feedback in a ticket comment or mailing list post before next Friday,
> Jan. 26.
>
> The specific goal is look into fedmsg integration via the WordPress REST
> API. Ideally, this allows us to automate the creation of helpful,
> insightful metrics about the performance of the Magazine, both to help
> the editing team and also help other teams in Fedora understand what our
> user base is interested and engaged in.
>
> For example, I'd be interested in seeing our best-performing categories
> and tags, to help evaluate key interest areas. Other ideas are the usual
> metrics Ryan and Paul put together at the end of the year.
>
> It would be helpful to have the "metrics wishlist" either as a comment
> in the ticket linked above, or to be listed here on the mailing list.
> This will support one of the discussion topics at the CommOps FAD at the
> end of the month.
>
> If possible, please try and discuss this before next Friday, Jan. 26.
> CommOps is hoping to help drive better insights to the Magazine with
> this info. :)

Unfortunately, my time is really short during the next two weeks due
to a job change.  I don't expect to be able to drive this.  Hopefully
Ryan can get a consensus on what metrics we need and send those to the
ticket.

The suggestions that came with the proposal seem like a pretty good
place to start.  They echo the stats we usually look at each
week/month/year.  Tags are used inconsistently so I'm not sure how
well we can base any analysis on them.  Categories, however, seem to
be more consistent, especially throughout 2017.