Re: AI/ML Model and Pre-Trained Weight Packaging in Fedora

On Fri, Mar 01, 2024 at 10:08:27PM -0500, Richard Fontana wrote:
> I just skimmed through the Fedora packaging guidelines and the
> FESCo-related documentation and didn't seem to find anything on this
> sort of topic.

I think the relevant policy is under the FPC, in the packaging guidelines:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/what-can-be-packaged/#_packages_which_are_not_useful_without_external_code

   Some software is not functional or useful without the presence of
   external code dependencies in the runtime operating system environment.
   When those external code dependencies are non-free, legally unacceptable,
   or binary-only (with the exception of permissible firmware), then the
   dependent software is not acceptable for inclusion in Fedora.

   If the code dependencies are acceptable for Fedora, then they should be
   packaged and included in Fedora as a pre-requisite for inclusion of the
   dependent software. Software which downloads code bundles from the
   internet in order to be functional or useful is not acceptable for
   inclusion in Fedora (regardless of whether the downloaded code would be
   acceptable to be packaged in Fedora as a proper dependency).

This specifically says "code" rather than content -- if we are comfortable
defining models with weights as content (and that seemed to be the
consensus), I think this is okay at under current guidelines.

I'm going to file a Fedora Council ticket to ask if we should ask FPC to add
AI models (and perhaps some of Tim's helpful definitions) to the examples of
"permissible content" higher on that same page.

But I am not going to do it today, because there is enough going on with xz
and now the KDE change proposal that I can't handle it. :)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>