Re: Making no-conditions identifiers optional in the License: field

On Mon, Sep 4, 2023 at 10:03 AM Miroslav Suchý <msuchy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dne 01. 09. 23 v 9:54 Daniel P. Berrangé napsal(a):
> > Shorter is indeed better because it is far easier for humans to read when it is more concise, especially so because
> > once the expression is flattened, the SPDX identifiers could be alphabetically orered as in this example above.
>
> Do we want to have it easier for humans or for machines?
>
> I think that we now target more machines (especially because of the "exchange" part from SPDX abbrev). If you want more
> human friendly way you can feed the formula to some library and get abbreviated form. E.g., you can use `simplify()` from
>
> https://github.com/nexB/license-expression#usage-examples
>
> It is packaged in Fedora.
>
> And I agree that once we migrate to SPDX we should always present to **users** the simplified formula. But in sources
> (in spec) we should track the full formula.

I'm not sure if that `simplify()` does anything interesting - seems
like it either just applies commutativity and associativity or else it
may attempt to make further algebraic reductions that are questionable
as equivalent expressions. I believe Mulhern made the related point in
another thread that algebraic simplifications may not be possible (and
I think the underlying point is that these are not true boolean
expressions).

Richard