Re: Making no-conditions identifiers optional in the License: field

On Fri, Sep 1, 2023 at 11:56 AM Iñaki Ucar <iucar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Apologies if this has been discussed before, but why not something
> like the debian/copyright file? The License tag could be just a list
> of all licenses found, without AND or OR, to avoid the combinatorial
> issue, and then a copyright file could exactly list what applies to
> what.

It has basically not been discussed before. I think if we were
starting over from scratch I would probably suggest something like the
Debian approach. That also has the advantage of solving the problem of
what standards to adopt around license file inclusion (which currently
haven't been touched in our post-July-2022 documentation and which
really don't make much sense, at least in relation to the rest of the
current Fedora legal guidelines).

My past assumption has been that it would be culturally too hard for
Fedora to copy the Debian approach (although it occurs to me that
Fedora could just reuse a lot of the Debian package data with limited
modification). Maybe that's wrong? Maybe the current guidelines
involve the same sort of effort that Debian package maintainers engage
in.

One reason I don't like the "without AND or OR" approach is it is
basically abandoning the idea of using per-RPM or per-package SPDX
expressions, while retaining the idea that we should be using SPDX
expressions at a more atomic level. But if we adopted the Debian
approach I don't see why we should need to continue populating the
License: field at all (not sure how Debian deals with this, offhand).

Richard