Re: Making no-conditions identifiers optional in the License: field

On Fri, 1 Sept 2023 at 15:53, Richard Fontana <rfontana@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 1, 2023 at 8:09 AM Vít Ondruch <vondruch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Can we attach percentage to each license? E.g. "Kernel is from 99,9625 %
> > GPL-2.0-only license"
> >
> > I am proposing this mostly as a joke. Nevertheless, it is interesting
> > information IMHO.
>
> This sounds similar to an idea I had a few years ago, when I was
> somewhat more enthusiastic about general use of ScanCode as a tool. I
> think ScanCode can give you results of licenses identified in source
> code in a percentage ranking, so my idea was "just list the top few
> detected licenses". The idea had the problem of being
> scanner-dependent (or else associated with inconsistent approaches
> based on the scanner used) and also the mere fact that a license shows
> up a lot in detections doesn't necessarily mean it *covers* content in
> the package to the extent that would suggest (i.e., some results would
> be pretty misleading, seemingly).
>
> It also conflicts with what I think of as a  "truth in labeling"
> principle which may be something that should guide us here, to some
> degree. It is not uncommon for a package to have a small portion of
> code covered by a license that is in some sense problematic or
> unexpected in a way that is disproportionate to how often it appears.
> To use the example of the kernel, there's the presence of Clear BSD
> (SPDX: BSD-3-Clause-Clear) on some source files. Arguably there is a
> value in exposing that fact, especially for those of us who don't
> consider that to be an open source license. But truth in labelling
> doesn't mean "list everything in precise detail" necessarily.

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but why not something
like the debian/copyright file? The License tag could be just a list
of all licenses found, without AND or OR, to avoid the combinatorial
issue, and then a copyright file could exactly list what applies to
what.

--
Iñaki Úcar