Re: License question on rewrites in different languages

Dne 29. 06. 23 v 14:54 Richard Fontana napsal(a):
The upstream project's metadata uses the SPDX expression "MIT" for the
project's license, but includes both the license text for MIT (which
covers the "matchit" project) and the one for BSD-3-Clause (which is
the license of the "httprouter" project, which "matchit" is based on).

Following the logic from points 1 and 3, should the upstream project's
metadata use "MIT AND BSD-3-Clause" for the project license? I assume
similar reasons apply to the tarballs that the upstream project
distributes as would to the RPM packages that Fedora distributes.
Should this discrepancy (i.e. license texts for both licenses
included, but license in metadata does not) be reported / fixed in the
upstream project as well?
I checked crates.io and couldn't find any guidelines on license
metadata. I don't think I personally would bother

This is surprising position.

Why it should be based on crates.io guidelines? I think that most of us struggling with licenses. Fedora is struggling with licenses. I am quite sure crates.io is struggling with licenses.

So maybe the Fedora position should be at minimum to recommend to fix it upstream if the time was already spent on the analysis.

Vít

  if I were the Fedora
packager but I think you've previously explained that for Rust
packages having the upstream metadata match the Fedora metadata would
have some benefits on the Fedora side. So it may be worth a try. The
upstream maintainer may be sympathetic to this given how they
emphasize the httprouter license.

Richard