Re: License question on rewrites in different languages

On Wed, Jun 28, 2023 at 4:44 PM <h-k-81@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am in the process of reviewing this package [1]. The author of the pacakge mentions "A lot of the code in this package was based on Julien Schmidt's httprouter." in the documentation and includes the license file of httprouter.
> The thing is that httprouter is written in Go and the library, that is being packaged, is written in Rust.
>
> So the question here is, does the Rust library have to include and mention the license of httprouter?

I think you may be asking one of more of the following questions:

1. Given that httprouter is written in Go, can we assume that the
license of httprouter doesn't apply to this Rust crate?

2. Does the binary package need to install the httprouter license file?

3. Should the httprouter license be included in the spec file License: field?

As to 1: I don't think we can assume that, no. The upstream project
says it's based on httprouter and it could be that some of it is a
close translation from Go to Rust. While the BSD licenses are not
entirely clear on this issue I think you should assume that the Rust
crate copies from httprouter in such a way that the httprouter license
requirements are triggered.

As to 2: We still don't have updated standards around how to deal with
installation of license files and (in my opinion) the existing
packaging guidelines on that topic don't entirely make sense. In this
case I'd take a conservative approach and assume the httprouter
license needs to be installed along with the rust-matchit project
license.

As to 3, this follows from 1: you should assume the License: field
should include `BSD-3-Clause` as appropriate.

Richard