Re: licensecheck output (MIT License)

On Tue, May 2, 2023 at 7:59 AM Justin W. Flory (he/him) <jwf@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> To the best of my knowledge, "MIT License" matches "MIT:Modern Style with sublicense". Someone else on the list should probably confirm though.
>
> The reason for the several MIT mappings is that often, projects claim to use the MIT License but then add extra language that is not the standard license text. So, there are various flavors of the MIT License. The unusual flavors are often specific to a smaller project or group of projects. Perhaps it would be better to distinguish the Allowed Licenses list to better communicate which SPDX tag should be used as the "default" MIT license. I also thought the docs were unclear for someone who isn't immersed in licensing.

In SPDX, the identifier "MIT" is defined in this XML file:
https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/blob/main/src/MIT.xml
which should be understood in conjunction with the SPDX Matching Guidelines:
https://spdx.github.io/spdx-spec/v2.3/license-matching-guidelines-and-templates/
(not sure if there is a later authoritative version of this)

As an aside I think SPDX should do more to explain this issue of how
the precise definitions of identifiers are the XML files along with
the Matching Guidelines. I recently made this comment on an issue:
https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/issues/1935#issuecomment-1519092889

Anyway, what Fedora used to call (under the Callaway system) "MIT
Modern Style with Sublicense" as one common example of what the
Callaway name "MIT" covered matches exactly to SPDX "MIT". The SPDX
License Diff browser plugin is pretty useful for verifying things like
this, though I'm pretty sure even this tool does not fully implement
the SPDX matching guidelines or the XML definitions of the various
SPDX license identifiers. This "MIT" happens to encompass the most
widely used license commonly thought of as "the MIT License", probably
due to the earlier influence of the OSI. I guess it would be helpful
to point this out in the Fedora legal docs somewhere or on the allowed
license list itself. But the fact that "MIT license" usually is
something that maps to SPDX "MIT" is not really relevant for a large
number of Fedora packages.

Richard