Re: Additional SPDX questions for .NET 7 (dotnet7.0)

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed response! I am still working through most of
this, but want to get some clarification on this one:

Richard Fontana <rfontana@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 24, 2022 at 1:07 PM Omair Majid <omajid@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> 5. Is there an SPDX identifier for "Unicode Mappings License"?
>>
>>    An example of this license is also at
>>    https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/unicode/+/49008729606a2dca67c1572bd6e2e196be1eda24/ConvertUTF.h
>
> This license was recently determined to be not allowed:
> https://gitlab.com/fedora/legal/fedora-license-data/-/issues/69

Does that mean any code under this license is firmly  not allowed?

> As noted there, a similar Unicode license was treated as "good" in the
> past, for unclear reasons, and I speculated that this UTF conversion
> code probably appeared in a number of Fedora packages.

Is there anything that I need to do to find such packages and/or handle
them in some way?

> You are welcome to submit an issue about this at fedora-license-data.

Would this request be to re-consider and treat this license as
acceptable ? If not, can you clarify what the issue should be about?

> The best result
> here, long term at least, would be to either get the upstream to
> replace this code with something under a FOSS license

Okay, we can probably start some conversations to look at this for .NET
8. What are my options for .NET 7 in the short term?

> or to see
> whether a more recent FOSS Unicode license might cover the same code
> (which might require finding someone at the Unicode Consortium).

I see Pamela's response later in the thread about a contact. Is there
anything I can do to help move this conversation along?

Omair

--
PGP Key: B157A9F0 (http://pgp.mit.edu/)
Fingerprint = 9DB5 2F0B FD3E C239 E108  E7BD DF99 7AF8 B157 A9F0