Re: can we bundle CNN models for wechat_qrcode ?

On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 01:38:44AM +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:

> > And this question is about whether the addition of the code at
> > https://github.com/WeChatCV/opencv_3rdparty to opencv is okay from a
> > licensing perspective? And there is no license info in those files.
> Not additional code but additional binaries which "there is no license
> info in those files" neither if these models have any kind of patent .

My intuition is that this is "content" under Fedora policies [1] although I
can also see an argument that trained AI models are actually more like
compiled code. I don't think we have a good handle on this as it is an
emerging field.

If it _is_ "content", it would need to be under one of these licenses:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/allowed-licenses/#_allowed_content_licenses

or another license which may have the following exceptions to our normal
rules for free and open source:

* The license may restrict or prohibit modification
* The license may say that it does not cover patents or grant any patent licenses

I guess one could make the argument that these models are somehow like
"firmware", but I'm very skeptical about that.

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/legal/license-approval/#_allowed_for_firmware

All of that stuff is kind of irrelevant if there is *no* license, though.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>