Re: Is ECDSA secp256k1 elliptic curve permitted to be packaged in Fedora?

On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 2:25 AM Jilayne Lovejoy <jlovejoy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We were careful on the move, and I don't recall anything of this sort. I
> searched on the wiki, and seems we may have missed some legal-related
> pages, as here it is: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:ECC

Yes, this is what I was looking for, thanks. I couldn't find it myself.

> That being said, looks like that was last updated 3 years ago, so not
> sure if there have been changes since then?

It would be good to know whether there's actually still any elliptic
curves that we can *not* ship.
For example, the package for nettle still removes secp224r1 and
secp192r1 from its sources.
At least the former no longer seems to be correct, since it's listed
as acceptable, and also used by OpenSSL.

> Between this email thread and others related, I'm not clear on what the
> exact question is in terms of what it is that hasn't been allowed and is
> being asked to allow?

I think it would be good to know:

- Is secp192r1 still not acceptable, or can it be included in nettle now?
- Are other elliptic curves acceptable as well? I see questions on
this list about brainpool curves, which are apparently mandated by
some German government agencies now.
- Are there actually any elliptic curves that are still *not*
considered acceptable? I.e. could the "hobble" logic be dropped from
nettle and openssl entirely?

Fabio