Re: Is ECDSA secp256k1 elliptic curve permitted to be packaged in Fedora?

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 8:25 PM Jilayne Lovejoy <jlovejoy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 8/25/22 6:59 AM, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> >> On Tue, Jul 05, 2022 at 12:46:10PM +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> >> IANAL or anybody from Fedora, but a similar
> >> thread is still waiting for
> >> a larger proclaimation about Elliptic Curves in general:
> >> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/legal@lists.fedoraproject.o...
> >>
> >> The package you linked includes secp256k1 and prime256v1.
> > secp256k1 seems to be OK.
> > For example, it is included in nettle, but it removes secp192r1 and secp224r1 from its sources.
> >
> > It is also included in openssl:
> >
> > $ openssl ecparam -list_curves
> >    secp224r1 : NIST/SECG curve over a 224 bit prime field
> >    secp256k1 : SECG curve over a 256 bit prime field
> >    secp384r1 : NIST/SECG curve over a 384 bit prime field
> >    secp521r1 : NIST/SECG curve over a 521 bit prime field
> >    prime256v1: X9.62/SECG curve over a 256 bit prime field
> >
> > So it looks like the removal of secp192r1 and secp224r1 from nettle seems to be outdated, because at least the latter curve is enabled in OpenSSL.
> >
> > Wasn't there some kind of wiki page that listed elliptic curves which we weren't allowed to ship? I can't seem to find it any longer, so it might have fallen victim to the move of the Legal docs to GitLab ...
> >

> We were careful on the move, and I don't recall anything of this sort. I
> searched on the wiki, and seems we may have missed some legal-related
> pages, as here it is: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:ECC
>
> That being said, looks like that was last updated 3 years ago, so not
> sure if there have been changes since then?
>
> Between this email thread and others related, I'm not clear on what the
> exact question is in terms of what it is that hasn't been allowed and is
> being asked to allow?

I'm not certain any of this is necessary anymore. At least the
documentation in the hobble-openssl script indicates nothing that we
still need to strip out:
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/openssl/blob/43e576feab04b0557f63e9eec1b5241773ef79e7/f/hobble-openssl

It would be good to check if we can drop all the "hobble" logic for
crypto libraries now.