Re: SPDX Change proposal

On 5/11/22 4:44 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:

Dne 10. 05. 22 v 16:56 Jilayne Lovejoy napsal(a):

On 5/10/22 1:56 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:

Dne 10. 05. 22 v 9:06 Miroslav Suchý napsal(a):
I took the initiative and drafted

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/SPDX_Licenses_Phase_1

Nice! Thx.

I did **not** set it as ready for wrangler yet. I welcome comments. And feel free to edit it directly. Especially these who I put there as proposal owners.
at the risk of sounding naive or clueless - what does "ready for wrangler" mean?

I would love to track all remaining work in the Scope section, so we know what needs to be done and who is responsible. I am sure I missed something there. Feel free to add it.

I am honestly not sure about:

> There will be Phase 2, where we identify the remaining packages and help them to migrate to the SPDX formula.

1) I think it will be risky to do this via automation.
only some of the ids could be done via automation in any case. many will need a closer inspection

2) I don't think we will ever have the man power to do this.
I agree that some additional help or tooling process or hackfest or ... ??? would be good. need more brainstorming on this.

3) I don't think this should happen any time soon.
but we also don't want a period of using a mix of Fedora ids and SPDX ids in Fedora to linger on for a long time as that would sort of defeat the purpose of making the change. hence some planning around 1 and 2 would help perhaps

Well, yes, that is good point. Still not sure.

Actually, @Mirek shouldn't the Phase 2 be "SPDX is mandatory for new packages from certain point in time" instead followed by Phase 3 with complete migration to SPDX?

I was thinking that Phase 1 (the point at which SPDX ids are officially adopted and the various tasks noted in the Change proposal) would mean: SPDX ids are mandatory for new packages as of DATE. Phase 2 would then be all about how to most efficiently get existing package spec files updated - which will be a longer phase.

Jilayne

Vít