Re: mininet license

On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 at 18:10, Richard Fontana <rfontana@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 9:44 PM Pamela Chestek <pchestek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Isn't there a much bigger problem, namely "to any person obtaining a copy of this Software to deal in the Software under the copyrights without restriction ..."
> >
> > For comparison, the MIT language is: "to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation ..."
> >
> > They've added "under the copyrights." I assume the intent was to carve out the trademarks from the grant, but they've also, I would say, carved out patents. I would argue that because the license is specifically for copyrights only one can't imply a license for patents.
>
> Interesting, I had overlooked that but this seems significant. As far
> as I can tell from searching, the Overflow license (the license used
> here) is the first case of a license that adds "under the copyrights"
> to that MIT license language. Though this is speculation, given the
> origins of these projects and what I understand to be the approximate
> date of launching of the Overflow project it all feels a bit like some
> lawyer in the Stanford tech transfer office was trying to "pull a fast
> one", as it were. If the Overflow project (or this license) is
> actually much older than I am assuming, that would be useful to know
> though.

Here I'm a bit lost, and I don't understand the implications. But the
OpenFlow license is present in Open vSwitch, which is supported by
RedHat as part of its virtualization technologies.

> > As to the trademark question, IMHO I tend to agree with Richard that the license prohibits lawful nominative/referential fair use. The BSD license says "endorse," which does allow for lawful use (a proper nominative fair use would not suggest endorsement). "Promote" is a closer call; if I say "LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice" at a time when OpenOffice is more well-known, that might be considered using "OpenOffice" in a promotional way. But since it travels with "endorse," there is an argument that they didn't mean to prohibit a lawful referential use. I don't think that can be said for the Mininet license. I think the intentions may have been good with the Mininet license, but done in a way that probably crosses the line.

As for this clause, I found that the W3C license (which is listed as a
good license for Fedora) contains an almost identical one:
https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-software-20021231.

Iñaki

> > Pam

> >> The trademarks are unspecified, but maybe that's not a significant problem.
> >>
> >> The way the NTP license is used in practice is that the specific
> >> "name" you're not allowed to use is specified in the license notice
> >> (University of Delaware in the oldest strata of NTP it seems).

> >> Yes but I think "use[] to endorse or to promote" is a little more
> >> specific than "use[] in advertising or publicity".

> >> I don't know. I think it's a difficult case and requires further
> >> thought/discussion. I've only thought about this for a couple of hours
> >> :-)
> >>
> >> I feel that the inclusion of "trademarks" here is what is most
> >> distinctive. Assuming Mininet itself is a trademark of the copyright
> >> holders, why shouldn't I be able to say truthfully in some publicity
> >> statement that my fork of Mininet is based on Mininet (without
> >> notionally breaching the license)? This is different from licenses
> >> that require me to rename my fork to something else.  It's also
> >> somewhat different from how the NTP license says I can't use the name
> >> "University of Delaware" when advertising my distribution of NTP or a
> >> derivative of NTP.
> >>
> >> I'd be somewhat curious to find out why Openflow decided to use this
> >> license, where they got it from, and how long they were using it.

> >> --

Iñaki Úcar