Re: mininet license

On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 11:34 AM Jilayne Lovejoy <jlovejoy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This license is closest to MIT, but adds a custom lead-in (groan) at the beginning and a trademark restriction at the end. The authors should not refer to is as "BSD", nor "OSI-Approved" as that is a false statement.  They really ought to fix that (or just put it under the regular BSD-3-Clause or MIT!)
>
> As for being acceptable for Fedora - I'd be curious to hear Richard's thoughts on the trademark restriction.

So the clause in question is this:

"The name and trademarks of copyright holder(s) may NOT be used in
advertising or publicity pertaining to the Software or any derivatives
without specific, written prior permission."

The license seems to have first appeared in a related project coming
out of Stanford, Openflow. The quoted language seems to me to be more
restrictive (and also ambiguous) than counterpart language in well
known FOSS licenses (e.g. clause 3 of the 3-clause BSD license [SPDX:
BSD-3-Clause]).

My initial reaction is that this license is not FOSS and thus is not
ok for Fedora.

Also a pretty good example of how upstream license metadata is untrustworthy.

Richard