Re: GFDL invariant sections question

On Thu, Mar 3, 2022 at 5:04 PM Jilayne Lovejoy <jlovejoy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm trying to finish up the compare of "good"
> licenses (for documentation and content) in terms of whether they are on
> the SPDX License List, which somewhat recently altered the GFDL
> identifiers to differentiate on the invariant aspect due to someone
> raising that is makes a difference as to obligations under the license.

Without having thought about it before (in the SPDX context), that
seems to make sense to me (at the cost of greater identifier
complexity).

> So... hence the question of if Fedora considers all versions and
> regardless of invariant sections as "good". I think you and Richard have
> provided enough for the answer.
>
> I was also inquiring internally as to whether this ever comes up in
> questions with Red Hat customers or more broadly and I think that
> question may have come across here - sorry about that! I was curious if
> the presence of the invariant section being triggered impact comfort
> with use of GFDL more widely (beyond Fedora). I hope not...

In many years of dealing with FOSS licensing stuff for Red Hat I can't
think of a single case where a customer brought up any concerns about
the GFDL. Of course I've long been aware of how it's a controversial
license in the broader Linux community.

Richard