Re: ttyp0 font license

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 11:52 AM Jilayne Lovejoy <jlovejoy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/11/21 9:35 PM, Richard Fontana wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 2:59 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I understand the philosophical issue with restricting renaming
> >> generally. But I think if we go down that road, that represents a
> >> significant policy shift from our past practice.
> > OK, well I withdraw my objections to treating this as an acceptable
> > Fedora license for fonts. I reserve the right to complain about a
> > similar future non-font-oriented license. :-)
> >
> Since you both are having so much fun... here's my two cents ;)
>
> I agree this is ok for Fedora, but I also understand Richard's initial
> hesitation re: the naming issue.
>
> I think the distinction is that
> - the clause in Apache 2.0 is explicitly consistent with trademark law.
> - whereas, this license sort of goes a step further and gives
> instructions on how to change the name enough to avoid a "likelihood of
> confusion" for the consumer (the standard for trademark infringement)
>
> Stating you must rename a modified version (or derivative work) is
> pretty common, but generally still considered free/open as it is merely
> reflecting the reality of trademark law (at least that's they way I
> think of it).

As I see it, there are plausibly-FLOSS licenses that attempt to
contractualize/non-trademark-intellectual-property-license-ize policy
concerns that have been traditionally associated with trademark law.
This is not categorically problematic. For example the OSD says "The
license may require derived works to carry a different name or version
number from the original software" and broadly speaking that seems to
be a correct distillation of how the community has looked at this
issue. But the question for me is how far or how much further can such
a license provision go than what we assume is the background trademark
law default for there to be a concern that the license is now too
restrictive to be considered free/open source. I don't believe there
is *no* such point at which a line is crossed.

I think what makes me accept this license with some misgivings is (a)
Ben's interpretation which is narrower than the one I initially had,
and (b) it's a font license and there's a mostly unacknowledged lower
standard applied to font licenses. So if this same provision appeared
in a software license I am not sure it should be acceptable.

Richard