Re: The right license for logos and trademarks in a free software project

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 8:58 AM Sheogorath
<sheogorath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> first of, this might not be the right mailing list, so feel free to
> redirect me or answer directly instead of to the list.

This isn't the right list, but here's a quick answer.

> GNU and the
> free software foundation, as well as OSI have guides for Source code,
> documentation and alike, but I couldn't find any resources on things
> like Logos and Names.

I think the concern here is less about licensing and more about
trademarks. You can look at the Fedora Trademark Guidelines as an
example:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:Trademark_guidelines

> I know Fedora and the Fedora logo is owned by RedHat, and I'm quite
> sure for other project exist similar constructs, but I'm not really
> aware how this is set up. Any recommendations or guidance is very
> welcome and I would love to hear back from you.

Ownership of the marks is another matter entirely.

Honestly, you're probably best served working with an attorney who
specializes in this (as in they are *your* attorney). Or you may
consider applying to a fiscal sponsor like Software Freedom
Conservancy: https://sfconservancy.org/projects/services/

I hope this helps!
BC

--