Re: How to name the license in the spec

----- Original Message -----

> > On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 9:41 AM David Cantrell <dcantrell@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Back to the original question... what short name do we give this license?
> > >
> > > - It has an advertising clause
> > > - It forbids relicensing under any form of the GPL (curious what that
> > > means
> > >    for potential derivative works)
> > > - And it has the postcard/QSL card request, sort of like vim's donation
> > >    request
> > >
> > > License: BSD with oddities
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > License: Difficult
> > >
> > > ?
> >
> > It actually has some text in common with the Beer-ware license.  At
> > least if this is the license of the entire package, or a substantial
> > part of it, I would suggest an identifier specific to this license,
> > perhaps "Diane Bruce [License]" (if I'm correct that the
> > author/licensor here is the FreeBSD developer Diane Bruce).
> >
> > Richard
>
> It seems Debian ships the code with the following license:
>
> Copyright: (C) Diane Bruce <db@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> License: Permissive
>
> thanks & regards
>
> Jaroslav

So could anybody authoritatively reply the following questions?

1) Can the code be packaged to Fedora?
2) How to name the license?

ad 1) there are already other free licenses disallowing relicensing under GPL.
I guess the purpose of the clause is for the code not to be "eaten" by GPL.
I think you can even combine the code with the GPL code and release the result as
"GPL and name of this license". Moreover the current code is standalone tool,
not library.

ad 2) we need the name for the license even if reply to the 1) is "no".
In such case I could package the tool to rpmfusion

thanks & regards

Jaroslav