Re: joke license (McRae General Public License)

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 6:16 AM Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
<dominik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Monday, 13 July 2020 at 14:35, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 6:09 PM Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
> > <dominik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > It seems one of the filter lists (Peter Lowe's adservers list) in uBlock
> > > Origin is licensed under this[1] and the author considers it a "joke
> > > license"[2]. Nonetheless, it explicitly forbids commercial use, telling
> > > the licensee to "stick it..." if they don't agree.
> > >
> > I am not a lawyer (nor am I spot), but the prohibition against
> > commercial use seems to be a pretty clear case of "not acceptable for
> > Fedora".
>
> Any other opinions? Any advice how to convince upstream that this is a
> real issue?

 I agree with Ben that this is not acceptable for Fedora. For the most
part in applying its license policy Fedora has to assume that any
license is potentially enforceable. I.e., there really is no such
thing as a "joke" license.

As for how to convince upstream, I can't help with that. At one time
Linux distribution licensing policy would have had a lot of influence
on upstream behavior, but I think that is much less true today.

Richard