Re: Batch icon set license

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 08:53:47PM +0300, Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
> > You are free to use Batch (the "icon set") or any part thereof (the
> > "icons") in any personal, open-source or commercial work without
> > obligation of payment (monetary or otherwise) or attribution. Do not
> > sell the icon set, host the icon set or rent the icon set (either in
> > existing or modified form).
[...]
> That is apparent *nonfree* licence, probably a homebrew one, so it
> does not have any name.

I'm saying this with no particular authority, but it seems to me that
the two conflicting statements are meant to do something similar to the
SIL Open Font License — allow the content to be used as part of a work
but to forbid its sale _as a thing in itself_. See the FSF's comments
here: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#SILOFL

I'll leave it to legal to say whether they agree that that's the
probably intent and whether it *works* like that.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>