Re: Adopt Debian-style 'common licenses' convention?

RB> I liked Miro's suggestion of hardlinking the licenses, but it's
RB> important to sure they are actually identical with checksums (i.e.,
RB> don't just use the License field because what if the upstream
RB> project subtly adjusted the license file?)

The idea behind having %license (and packages actually using it) is that
now we have the licenses identified and stored in a way that RPM
controls, instead of simply stored the same way that documentation is
stored.

Making RPM do smarter things with those license files is now entirely
within the domain of RPM or perhaps some file triggers or even (ugh) a
cron job/timer/whatever.

So, want to hardlink those files?  Have a package with a file trigger on
/usr/share/licenses that runs /usr/sbin/hardlink.  Instant space
savings, though you still have to spend the inodes.  If that's not
enough, RPM could probably be taught to do practically anything.

 - J<