Re: Adopt Debian-style 'common licenses' convention?

On 5.5.2017 17:00, Richard Fontana wrote:
Debian and at least some of its derivatives have long had a
requirement that each package have a so-called "copyright file" which
among other things is supposed to contain "a verbatim copy of its
copyright information and distribution license". However, for certain
widely-used licenses, copies are not bundled with individual packages,
but instead a systemwide copy of each is installed in
/usr/share/common-licenses. These include, from what I gather, the
Apache License 2.0, some version of the Artistic License, each extant
version of the GPL and LGPL, and (oddly) certain versions of the GFDL.

I've been thinking recently that Fedora, and the derivatives of Fedora
maintained by Red Hat engineers, would benefit from adopting a similar
approach, though I wouldn't suggest using an identical set of
licenses. I had a conversation with Neal Gompa yesterday and got the
impression he did not consider this to be an entirely crazy idea. I
have some concerns about the current Fedora practice of installing
certain individual package license files (including license files that
appear in thousands if not tens of thousands of Fedora packages in
identical form) in /usr/share/licenses and think this particular
Debian practice might be a marginal improvement in certain respects.

Any thoughts on this idea?

I thought that one of reasons to use the %license macro was that we can hardlink those license-files to save space. Or is that just my memory tricking me?

--
Miro Hrončok