Re: MP3 status?

On 11/10/2016 04:55 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
> About three hours ago on Twitter @spotrh tweeted:
>     "As of today, MP3 decoding software is permissible in Fedora."
>
> Is this true? If so, could we have a bit more detail?
>
> I'm slightly suspicious as to the authenticity of the tweet because
> yesterday @spotrh tweeted:
>     "I'm going to stay off social media for the foreseeable future. If
> you need me, you know how to find me."

Sorry. It was not my intent to be cryptic. I wrote that specific tweet
because I had become angry and frustrated with the political situation
in the United States, and rather than writing something I might later
regret, I opted out of social media... but I had also promised to help
spread awareness of the MP3 change in Fedora, so I came back for that.

We cannot comment on specific patents, not now, not ever. Red Hat has
determined that it is now acceptable for Fedora to include MP3 decoding
functionality (not specific to any implementation, or binding by any
unseen agreement). Encoding functionality is not permitted at this time.

I hope this helps.

~tom

==
Red Hat