Re: pngquant dual-licensing note

On Dom, 2016-04-17 at 08:08 -0400, Richard Fontana wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 07:56:37PM +0100, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > pngquant was relicense under GPLv3 [1] but after a short time
> > author
> > added an exception and make pngquant as dual-licensed the latest
> > README.md says:
> >
> > License
> >
> > pngquant is dual-licensed:
> >
> >     GPL v3 or later, and additional copyright notice must be kept
> > for older parts of the code. See COPYRIGHT for details.
> >
> >     For commercial/closed-source/AppStore distribution please ask k
> > ornel@xxxxxxxxxxxx for a license.
> >

> > This is acceptable for include in Fedora ?
> The 'please ask' sentence could be read as implying that the authors
> regard commercial and 'AppStore' distribution as not being allowed by
> the nominal GPLv3 license. In the past I believe we've treated that
> sort of thing as reason enough not to allow inclusion in Fedora. You
> could try getting the upstream project to revise the sentence.

The author reply:
"Sure, I can clarify. It wasn't my intention to add exceptions to GPL.
As far as I understand App Store EULA is incompatible with GPL, so I
wanted to highlight that. How about:

For Free/Libre Open Source Software it's available under [GPL v3 or
later]

For use in non-GPL software (e.g. closed-source software or App Store
distribution) please ask for a commercial license. "

Looks good ?

You may write directly to author here:
https://github.com/pornel/pngquant/commit/93aa1116943aba0734f981fe54cf8
d6650f28981#commitcomment-17135436