[Fedora-legal-list] [Fedora-legal-list] Re: The limit of "free for non commercial use"

On 03/20/2016 06:47 AM, Mattia Verga wrote:
> I'm now packaging "astrometry" for Fedora and I actually removed that catalog from sources.
> What's the limit of the "free for non commercial use" statement? In this case can the catalog be maintained in sources? If the software is under a free license there's no "commercial use" involved, in my opinion.

Any license with a commercial use restriction is non-free. Material
under such a license must not be distributed in Fedora, either in source
or binary RPM.

The fact that Red Hat/Fedora does not charge for Fedora distribution is
not relevant to this point, for two main reasons:
* It is possible that any Fedora package may end up in RHEL, which Red
Hat does sell.
* It is possible that anyone else may choose to sell Fedora (or build
derivative works off Fedora and then sell that). We do not wish to limit
their ability to do this.

~tom

==
Red Hat