Re: Including gpl3 code and how that affects other source in project

On Thu, 29 May 2014 09:18:43 -0400
Richard Fontana <rfontana@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 02:47:31AM -0600, Eric Smith wrote:
> > IANAL, but if the added GPL3 code is, as Richard said, an "isolated
> > utility" that is not linked to any of the GPL2+ code (an assumption
> > about the nature of an "isolated utility"), then isn't this "mere
> > aggregation"?
>
> I didn't say anything about an isolated utility, but now I see that
> Tim did. So my original assumption was that there was something more
> than 'mere' aggregation, but if that's not true then the answer and
> analysis are different (and easier). Or rather the end result is
> objectively the same, but the way you look at it might be different.

I'm not sure if this is an important distinction but I figure that it
probably wouldn't hurt to make sure:

The utility itself will be isolated in a directory of the main project.
However, that utility will read several other gpl2+ licensed source
files in order to generate our documentation.

> > I'm not arguing that there's anything wrong with relicensing the
> > GPL2+ source to GPL3, only that I don't think it automatically
> > occurs in the described scenario.  If it was desired to relicense
> > the GPL2+ source to GPL3, I think that should be done explicitly,
> > by actually changing the license notices.
>
> I basically agree; the idea of implicit relicensing is something that
> was invented to reconcile what one group of people say about license
> compatibility and GPL interpretation with what another group of people
> (which probably overlaps somewhat, maybe even significantly, with the
> first group) actually do.

Thank you all for your input on this. I really appreciate it.

Tim