Re: Allowed content in Copr

On 11/11/2013 03:03 AM, Miroslav Suchý wrote:

>>    b. is governed in whole or in part by a license not contained in the
>>       list of acceptable licenses for Fedora, currently located at
>>       https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing, as that list may be
>>       revised from time to time by the Fedora Project Board;
>
> Hmm, why I could not build there something covered by - let say - Zimbra
> Public License 1.3 ?
> This is randomly chosen license from "Bad" section where it is forbidden
> to modifacate software. But otherwise it is redistributable and open
> source. This is not acceptable for Fedora itself, but should be fine for
> Copr. IMHO.

We really didn't want to have to review all the non-free licenses out
there to determine whether they were freely distributable without
restriction, especially since we know that the majority of these
licenses are not.

I suppose we could append this and start keeping a list of licenses that
are only "okay for Coprs", but I really am less than excited about this.
Are there people who want this?

>>    c. is categorized as a "Forbidden Item" at
>>       https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items,
>>       as that page may be revised from time to time by the Fedora
>>       Project Board;
>
> Why we should forbid binary blobs (e.g firmwares)?
> But beside those blobs I agree.

In general, the items on the Forbidden list are such because they are
either common proprietary software or known to be legally problematic.

There is not a blanket "no binary blobs" entry in Forbidden_items, so
I'm not sure why you're bringing that point up. It does say no non-free
kernel modules, if that's what you are referring to, it might be
possible to explicitly exclude that item for Coprs.

~tom

==
Fedora Project