Re: Privacy Policy Concern

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 10:10:33 -0500
Tom Callaway <tcallawa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 03/08/2012 01:35 AM, inode0 wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The following describes the policy for information controlled by the
> > privacy flag in FAS.
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal:PrivacyPolicy#Publicly_Available_Personal_Information
> >
> > It appears to me that the IRC nickname if provided in FAS is also
> > treated as public information in various places now regardless of
> > the privacy settings. If I log into FAS and look at another user
> > who has the privacy flag set I can see the IRC nickname, if I query
> > the fas plugin to zodbot I also see the user's IRC nickname.

Yeah, this is a bug. ;(

We are fixing it now.

> > I do think the IRC nickname should be considered public information
> > if provided (and especially for users with fedora cloaks) so I'm
> > wondering if the privacy policy should just add this as a second
> > exception along with the email address listed in the current policy?
>
> This makes sense.

I'd be ok with ircnick being public too I suppose. I don't feel
strongly about it though. ;)

I think we should clarify the email sentence tho.
It says:

"The only exception to this is for your email address, which may still
be visible in some Fedora services such as Bugzilla."

I think we should amend it to say:

"The only exception to this is for your email address, which will be
publicly available."

Possibly adding a 'Fedora is a open community and identifies it's
contributors by their email address, thus it's important to make this
information available' or something.

Also, should we note something about usernames?

> We probably should also ask the Board (and
> Community) if there are any other changes they want to make to the
> privacy policy at the same time, since we have to make a big noise
> every time we change it (even for a minor change like this).

Yeah. I wonder, should we consider badges?
Would your badge information be public or private?

> > I also have a question about what the "your affiliations" in the
> > last bullet in that section refers to?
>
> At one point, there was a plan to extend FAS to show external
> "affiliations", but I don't think it ever happened. Toshio would know
> more, but he's off at PyCon atm.

yeah.

kevin