Public domain works in Russia

I'm trying to determine if the LZMA SDK is properly in the public
domain.  The author (Igor Pavlov) is Russian, and supposedly the work
was placed into the public domain on 2008-11-23 which I guess would mean
that the Russian Federation's new copyright code would be involved.
However, that's about as far into the matter as I can comprehend.

Anyway, this is about all I have:

LICENSE
-------

7z ANSI-C Decoder is part of the LZMA SDK.
LZMA SDK is written and placed in the public domain by Igor Pavlov.

4.61 beta      2008-11-23
- The bug in ANSI-C LZMA Decoder was fixed:
    If encoded stream was corrupted, decoder could access memory
    outside of allocated range.
- Some changes in ANSI-C 7z Decoder interfaces.
- LZMA SDK is placed in the public domain.

The code is at http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/lzma465.tar.bz2
Any guidance would be appreciated.

 - J<