Re: Verifying Fedora from unofficial remixes that have removed the Fedora trademarks

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 09:00:41AM -0400, Tom spot Callaway wrote:

> We can encourage Fedora Remixes to list themselves on a wiki page, but I
> do not think we need to require this. I do not think it is in the
> interest of anyone to make it any more difficult for someone to make a
> derivative work or remix of Fedora.

I could see a web application that made it easy for remixers to
provide all sorts of information about what, where, how, why, who,
when, and so forth.  Even more, I could see an active special interest
group in Fedora that attracted remixers by giving them reasons to be
involved.  A sort-of meta-community of remixers, who themselves might
be the tip of many thousands of remix users.

The concern is, anything that is automatic without opt-in is going to
need a HUGE amount of visibility to the Fedora community.  People are
wary of being tracked and reported on, so they would have to know
early what was being tracked, why, how, how it was aggregated,
anonymized, and so forth.  All of that decided, openly, before a
single line of code need be written.

Smolt was created originally as a response to a situation where we
weren't going to go through that last paragraph of hassle with the
Fedora community.  Could the data needs you are talking about utilize
the existing Smolt + grow a remixer community?

- Karsten