Re: Licensing question: BSD with advertising + GPL

On Di, 2010-03-16 at 21:33 +0100, Stefan Schulze Frielinghaus wrote:
> On Di, 2010-03-16 at 16:05 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> > On 03/16/2010 03:40 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> [...]
> > > Looking at the license at that URL, I see there's also the question of
> > > the involvement of the sendmail license which has some rather odd GPL
> > > compatibility issues.
> >
> > Yeah... but since the copyright holder is Sendmail, Inc on those files,
> > we can assume that the Sendmail License is GPL compatible here (I'm also
> > going to assume that any changes made by the The OpenDKIM Project to
> > files originally under the Sendmail License are done under the BSD with
> > advertising license).
>
> That's true. OpenDKIM is a fork of a project called dkim-milter which is
> orphaned at the moment and was developed by employees of Sendmail Inc.
> and therefore shouldn't be a license problem. Only the changes made to
> the forked project are licensed as BSD-with-advertisement.
>
> > If I were you, I would ask the OpenDKIM project if they would be willing
> > to drop the advertising clause.
>
> I already sent an email to the project maintainer and hope to hear from
> him soon.

After some discussion on their mailinglist they decided to drop the
4th-clause. I'm happy to see this decision and would like to thank
especially Tom since he could bring up some real good arguments against
the 4th-clause and helped out wherever he could!

Regards,
Stefan