Re: Licensing question: BSD with advertising + GPL

On 03/16/2010 03:40 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> SSF> The library I'm talking about is OpenDKIM (actually it's kind of a
> SSF> daemon and a library, but I want to use the library from GPLv2
> SSF> code) which uses at the moment a 4-clause-BSD license:
> SSF> http://www.opendkim.org/license.html
>
> "
> All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
> must display the following acknowledgement:
>
> This product includes software developed by The OpenDKIM Project and its
> contributors.
> "
>
> SSF> A confirmation if it is really a BSD-with-advertisement license is
> SSF> very welcomed.
>
> That's the advertisement clause, verbatim (excepting the name change, of
> course).  The British spelling of "acknowledgment" is odd but present in
> the original UCB version.  I never noticed that before.
>
> Looking at the license at that URL, I see there's also the question of
> the involvement of the sendmail license which has some rather odd GPL
> compatibility issues.

Yeah... but since the copyright holder is Sendmail, Inc on those files,
we can assume that the Sendmail License is GPL compatible here (I'm also
going to assume that any changes made by the The OpenDKIM Project to
files originally under the Sendmail License are done under the BSD with
advertising license).

If I were you, I would ask the OpenDKIM project if they would be willing
to drop the advertising clause. (Or, if you'd like, I will ask them on
your behalf, just let me know).

~spot