Re: Legacy wiki -- statement?

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 04:42:36PM -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
Now, let me get started on migrating those last servers running legacy versions of Fedora Core...
Migrating them to what? That's my question.

If you can't upgrade every year (or ideally, twice year), CentOS is the
clear answer.

If you make that kind of statement, you are effectively removing high-end server testing from Fedora Core. If FC is still supposed to be a testbed for the newer software, whether it's desktop or high-end server, then that sounds like the wrong thing to say.

There are people who run servers for whom CentOS isn't a viable alternative because hardware upgrades necessitate running newer kernels and software than is available in current enterprise releases. Right now, the Redhat/CentOS enterprise software offering is moving at a slower pace than the hardware people might run it on. That's the case for us. That's why we run Fedora Core on our rather large amount of servers.

I'm not saying this to complain or try to keep FC4 active or anything like that. The FL project made their choices and we made ours based on what was stated at the time. I see a lot of, "Well, if you can't keep up with our pace, CentOS is the distro for you," though, and that's just not true. The FL project was a nice middle-ground for people between FC and CentOS.

Philip