Re: Legacy wiki -- statement?

Jesse Keating wrote:

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 07:49, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
Most of the dedicated hosting sites that offer Fedora don't mention a
version on the front page, but I tried diving a little, and it seems
that most of them may still be offering 3 and 4. I found one 5, but
still no 6.

For a list of major hosting companies offering Linux solutions, I used
NetCraft's statistics, see:

http://uptime.netcraft.com/perf/reports/performance/Hosters? tn=november_200
6

If any of these hosting firms or softwares like plesk would put up some resources to keep legacy going, we might not have had to shut the doors.
Unfortunately its all take take take and no give.

I agree and we could just end it at that and say we don't care everybody and their dog is running unpatched systems. But has anyone ever tried contacting these big companies and explaining the situation to maybe get some resources for the Legacy Project from them? Or does that sound too much like begging to people here? Companies like Dell just approach the Infrastructure Team and say "Hey, we could give you guys a couple of our servers, where would you like us to send them?" I guess it doesn't work like that for others, but they might just want to cooperate. Or they might just not care that their customers run unpatched systems. Since they also offer support on their software I guess that helping Legacy out might just benefit them too.

Nils Breunese.