Re: Important information regarding the merger of core and extras, and what this means to Legacy

Quoting Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx>:

I'm not able to force anyone here to do anything. Therefore, I have to

That's the first problem...  You either need to be able to force them
to do the right thing, or punish them for failure.  If you can't do one
or the other of those then you're screwed, to put it bluntly.

encourage good practice entirely via "carrots".

"sticks" work also.  You get hacked, we unplug you from the network until
you comply.  Gets their attention real fast when they are removed from
the network.  Works better than carrots actually, in the long run.

This works best when we
align with the academic year -- a release in the spring, current through the
following summer to allow time for upgrades. Ideally, *two* years and a
summer, but I understand that's not practical.

13 months for two versions gives you a lot of time IMHO...

As it is, what will happen is: whatever Fedora release is current as of
June-July-August will get installed on people's systems, and, with goading,
upgraded the next summer.

Upgraded in the summer, whether the summer of the same or next year, and
the problem is solved for 99% of the cases...  Only way that fails is
if you install early in the year (from January to April) and the next
release is done right after school (fall) starts that year...  In which
case, that will hopefully be a small number of machines which you can
knock off during winter or spring break, leaving the majority until the
summer.

The draw back of the above of course is you need to track all the machines,
their versions, and installation dates, and keep that data updated.  Basically
you need a good DB of the machine information...

If the actual Fedora release happens to be new in
June-July, the 13-month plan will be great, but if the latest release was
from, say, January, that leaves a big hole in which systems *will* get
broken into.

If you install in January, then just upgrade in the summer if a new release
is out by then.  See above for the rest of the details. I suppose there could
be a small hole, which is why most release cycles are 1.5 years instead of
1.08 years...  But your call for 2.5 years seems way too long for a project
that wants to be cutting edge (and which you point out your users want
because it is cutting edge.  If they want cutting edge, they need to upgrade
once a year, or else they are not cutting edge anymore).

panning out, and how it fits with merging Extras and Core. The availability
of Extras is currently a huge draw for Fedora over CentOS.)

CentOS has Extras/Plus also for a lot of packages...  And there are lots of
other packagers making "extras like" repositories out there...  For the
"desktop" user this should be more than sufficient.  It may of course
violate "server" or "production" users who have QA issues with that type
of thing.

In fact, one advantage of RHEL over FC/CentOS/anything-completely-opensource
is it actually comes with non-opensource software that is commonly desired,
and which is kept updated for security problems...

Extending the lifespan from ~9 to ~13 months is a huge help, but to cover
the gaps, we really need more like 18-19.

I really disagree.  The project is to be cutting edge, your users want
cutting edge, the only way to do that is to upgrade yearly.  Otherwise,
both the project and your users are not cutting edge.  If you can't
manage the upgrades in a year, then you need to hire more staff locally
(or better automate your upgrades).

Now, I really do feel for you and your situation.  But I don't think you
can impose your bad situation on the Fedora Project, when you claim your
users really do want the same thing as Fedora Project, which means you
really do need to upgrade yearly, and not every 2.5 years.  Fedora Legacy
is doing your users a disservice IMHO by not allowing them to be
cutting edge as they want to be.

In your case, I would think the only way to meet your needs would be with
Fedora Legacy, as Fedora Core just can't do 2.5 years of support and meet
its mission.  But I'm not sure there are enough people in such a unique
situation, and who are so fixated on Fedora Core over other distributions,
to sustain something like Fedora Legacy.

Of course, I could be completely wrong... :)

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!